my journey begins

3.21.2011

almost four months ago i met Angie, a beautiful kindred soul who has taught me so much over such a short time.  i can hardly believe where i am now.  because just a few months ago i was in a dark and dull place.

i signed up for a mini workshop taught by Angie called documenting the details.  it was an eye opening two weeks.  i quickly had the realization of how important documenting was to me.  i had been doing it with my girls without really calling it that.  yet there was very little of this within my client work. 

that mini workshop was like an awakening i needed to see my world with a fresh set of eyes.


shortly after that i took over a month off from taking sessions.  i detox from facebook.  i limited my time online.  i spend more time with my girls and family.  i was shooting for me.  i reevaluating some toxic relationships and influences.  i worked on the business side of little bug and detoxing my portfolio and introduced my true style. 

and you know what. that month was the best month i had professionally and personally. i had a number of miraculous things happen.  and i truly believe by me stepping back allowed myself to be open to all of it. 

around this same time i signed up for Angie's online Fly mentoring.  as soon as she started offering Fly back in the fall, i knew that was something i needed.  my artist self was crying out for it.

Fly is not a workshop, it is a creative journey.  and it is only the beginning.  i keep referring to it as photography based therapy.  it has been a life changing experience.

i am nearing the end of the online group Fly.  i have changed so much and been so inspired to be no one else but me.  i am not going to put myself into this box that i think i should be.  i am not worrying about what anyone else is doing or saying. i am just going to be me.

my business has never been in a better place.  i am taking images i love, of clients i love. i am doing a mixture of documenting/lifestyle work as well as more the traditional portrait style.  i feel so much more connected and in control of my art.

Angie not only helped me see what was important to me in my business but as well as my personal side.  i need to be creative with almost everything i do.  it is what truly makes me happy.

enter my online journal.

i started out blogging when i was pregnant with my oldest daughter.  it was a way of sharing my pregnancy with my friends and family a far. shortly after i was blogging about my daughter. not too long after i found a love for photography and began blogging that journey of discover and learning.

my photography business has since taken off and blog very frequently there.  i share my passion of photography within my clients stories, as well as some of my personal stories.  yet i have always felt a bit held back to share too much of ME there.

there has always been a strong desire within me to share from my heart.  my online journal is going to be a place i can do that... through my photography and my words. it will be a mixture of my art. my children. my thoughts and feelings.  it is going to be whatever i want it to be.  this is my journey.  and i am excited beyond words.

i am ready to sing as i soar.

i will end this by quoting a fellow songbird:

8 comments:

Ang said...

oh i could just burst! your words were the kind of hug i needed today, thank you for that. thank you for being you and for the amazing things you produce. can't wait to follow your journal - lots of love!

Faye said...

Oh Robyn, this is amazing. I feel so blessed to have "met" you through DTD and Fly. I can't wait to see where our journies take us!! :)

Anonymous said...

beautiful journal robyn! thank you for sharing this! looking forward to watching your journal grow. amie

Krystle said...

“photography based therapy” I couldn’t agree more! Fly has transferred to so many other parts of my life, all of it actually. I love this Robyn and I am so excited to follow your online journey here!! xo.

Amy C said...

This is so exciting! I really wish I had taken Fly! I'll be looking forward to your posts just as much as I do Angie's! :) Enjoy your new home.

Stacey S said...

This is so heartfelt Robyn - I also learned so much from Angie's Documenting the Details and I can already tell I will be in a much happier place. Can't wait to follow your journey! xo

Sarah Bunch said...

Love this, Robyn. I think I need to get back to my true artist self, as well. It's been a while since I was there. You are an inspiration!

brenda said...

soooo proud (and jealous) of you Robyn!! I look forward to seeing photos from you each day....they are simply breath-taking!

Post a Comment

i would love to hear from you